Minor in English and Media Studies
A Minor in English and Media Studies gives undergraduate students the opportunity to develop expertise in an area of study outside their Business major. Students must take four courses in English and Media Studies beyond the required General Education Expository Writing and Literature courses. Students are encouraged to select courses around specific themes, such as literature and cinema studies, creative writing, communication or media and culture.
|Select four courses in English and Media Studies (CIN, COM, EMS, LIT, or MC) beyond the required General Education courses. Possible course combinations around themes:|
|Literature and Cinema Studies|
Four courses in literature and/or cinema studies that form a coherent group. Should be selected in consultation with an advisor and must be in addition to the literature requirement in the general education core.
Two communication courses (designated as COM)
One course in communications or IDCC (designated as COM or IDCC) 1
|Creative Writing Concentration|
|(Courses must be in addition to the literature requirement in the general education core.)|
One course in literary forms (LIT 210 - LIT 224)
One course in any literature course (designated as LIT)
|Media and Culture Concentration|
Four media and culture courses (designated as MC)
IDCC courses are classified as business.
Policies Related to Minors
- Some major/minor combinations are prohibited. See the major/minor exclusions list for more information.
- Courses taken to fulfill a minor can be applied as business-related electives, arts and sciences electives, unrestricted electives, the humanities/social science elective or the mathematics/natural sciences elective.
- The electives guide defines all classes as either arts and sciences or business. Students are strongly encouraged to maintain an awareness of where courses taken for a minor apply to their degree requirements.
- Courses fulfilling General Education requirements (except the humanities/social science elective and the math/natural science elective) may not be applied to a minor.
- Courses used to fulfill the modern language requirement for BA students cannot be applied to a minor.
- Courses fulfilling Business Core requirements may not be applied to a minor (except for the Business Studies Minor).
- A course taken under the Pass/Fail/D policy may be applied to the minor.
- Major courses (including courses applied to the Liberal Studies Major or Business Studies Major) may not be applied to a minor.
- Students may apply only one course (from sources such as transfer, IB or AP) not taken at Bentley or as part of a Bentley-approved study abroad program to the minor.
- Students may only complete a maximum of two minors.
- Students must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in the minor.