The Modern Languages minor has been designed to help students develop proficiency in a foreign language and acquire cross-cultural skills that will be of use to them in their personal and professional lives.
The Modern Languages department has six different minors for students to choose from: Chinese, Japanese, Italian, French, Spanish, and Spanish for Business. Course requirements vary according to which minor a student selects and the student's initial level of proficiency. Before declaring the minor, interested students should meet with the faculty coordinator for their selected minor in order to determine the specific set of four courses that will constitute the minor. Residence, especially in a homestay, for a summer, semester, or year in a country where the target language is spoken is very strongly recommended.
Requirements for a minor in French, Italian, or Spanish:
Minimum requirements: Any four courses at the 200-level or above, one of which must be at the 300 or 400 level.
Requirements for a minor in Japanese or Chinese:
- For students with little or no previous Chinese or Japanese training: Beginning I and II, and Intermediate I and II.
For students placed beyond the Japanese or Chinese Beginning sequence: Any four courses at the 200-level or above, one of which must be at the 300 or 400 level.
Faculty coordinators for Modern Languages minors:
- Chinese minor
- Japanese minor
- Italian minor
- Spanish minor
- Spanish for Business minor
- French minor
Policies Related to Minors
- Some major/minor combinations are prohibited. See the major/minor exclusions list for more information.
- Courses taken to fulfill a minor can be applied as business-related electives, arts and sciences electives, unrestricted electives, the humanities/social science elective or the mathematics/natural sciences elective.
- The electives guide defines all classes as either arts and sciences or business. Students are strongly encouraged to maintain an awareness of where courses taken for a minor apply to their degree requirements.
- Courses fulfilling General Education requirements (except the humanities/social science elective and the math/natural science elective) may not be applied to a minor.
- Courses used to fulfill the modern language requirement for BA students cannot be applied to a minor.
- Courses fulfilling Business Core requirements may not be applied to a minor (except for the Business Studies Minor).
- A course taken under the Pass/Fail/D policy may be applied to the minor.
- Major courses (including courses applied to the Liberal Studies Major or Business Studies Major) may not be applied to a minor.
- Students may apply only one course not taken at Bentley (from sources such as transfer, IB, AP, course away, non-Bentley study abroad program, etc.) to the minor.
- Students may only complete a maximum of two minors.
- Students must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in the minor.